Welcome to 10 Things Before the Opening Bell. Sign up here to get this email in your inbox every morning.
Here’s what you need to know before markets open.
1. US stocks and the dollar fall as Democrats take control of the Senate. See what markets are doing today.
2. Bitcoin crosses $35,000 after Democrats win Senate. Economists suggest a Democratic Senate would likely lead to another round of large fiscal stimulus, crimping demand for assets like the dollar.
3. Bill Gross says the ‘Teslas of 2020’ may struggle in 2021. The billionaire also revealed his favorite market sector in his latest Investment Outlook letter.
4. Berkshire Hathaway likely scored a $50 billion gain on Apple in 2020. Buffett has praised the iPhone maker as “probably the best business I know in the world.”
5. Oil stocks soar after Saudi announces surprise production cut. Other OPEC members are not joining Saudi Arabia in the production cuts and some countries are even planning to boost output.
6. Earnings expected. RPM International is one highlight.
7. On the data docket. The Federal Open Market Committee meeting minutes, ADP employment change, and the US IHS Markit PMIs are due.
8. Jeremy Grantham, who predicted the past 2 financial meltdowns, sees a crash looming. The investing legend identifies 3 signals that suggest another bubble is being created by stocks by SPACs.
9. RBC says many stocks that beat the market in 2020 will do the same in 2021. The firm pinpoints 30 stocks poised for world-beating returns this year.
10. A crypto CEO says he wouldn’t be surprised to see bitcoin and ethereum rise at least 100% in 2021. Greg King, who runs Osprey Funds, breaks down his forecast in detail.
Read more:10 things you need to know before the opening bell